An Introduction to Furnishing a
Truly Chic Farmhouse Kitchen Experience
What is it?
A Farmhouse design kitchen is characterized by its comfortable and rustic feel, created through the use of practical and simple materials such as weathered wood, peeling paint, and clean lines. Soft neutral colors and natural wood tones contribute to a sense of serenity and relaxation while evoking a historic, farm-style setting.
Areas best suited for this style
Incorporating checked window treatments, distressed wood paneling, and butcher block top islands, a Farmhouse design kitchen is the perfect space for those looking for a unique and rustic look. To complete the farmhouse feel, consider adding barn door style cabinets and bare wood floors, as opposed to wall-to-wall carpeting or bright colors.
Challenges of this design
One of the challenges of achieving the Farmhouse design style is keeping things simple. While distressed woods are a signature feature, it's important not to go overboard with additional decorative elements. When it comes to flooring, bare wood floors work best, but area rugs can also be incorporated to add warmth to the space. Avoid using bright colors, which can detract from the calming and rustic vibe of the Farmhouse design.
Farmhouse Design Styles
- Rustic Farmhouse — Made of heavily distressed woods, this style features thick and bulky furniture pieces that exude a rustic feel.
- French Farmhouse — This style incorporates ornate curved shapes, Queen Anne legs, and rustic, natural distressed finishes, creating a charming and elegant look.
- Modern Farmhouse — A blend of natural textures and galvanized steel with natural wood accents, this style offers a more contemporary twist on the classic farmhouse design.
- Colonial Farmhouse — This style is characterized by distressed Windsor and ladder-back style chairs and generally features dark woods, adding a touch of traditional elegance to the space.
- Traditional Farmhouse — This style features classic furnishings that might feel outdated, yet simple and predictable, creating a cozy and welcoming atmosphere.
- Industrial Farmhouse — A mixture of distressed steel and rustic woods, this style offers a rugged and raw look, perfect for those looking for a more unconventional and edgy design.